Whether by happenstance or a planned adventure, encountering new art in Castle Rock is a joy. Public places throughout Town have been refreshed with new sculptures in recent weeks in conjunction with the Countywide Art Encounters program.
Art Encounters provides one-year exhibits of sculptures in retail and civic areas within Douglas County to promote public interest in art and develop community pride. Artists have a chance to win a People’s Choice Award, which is voted for by the public. Be sure to visit and vote for your favorite art piece at douglas.co.us/artencounters.
Five sculptures are being featured in Castle Rock through summer 2020:
- “Against the Wind” by artist Joe Malesky is at the Miller Activity Complex, 1375 W. Plum Creek Parkway, for sale at $5,500
- “Hot Wheels Percival Landing” by artist Kevin Mahaffey is at the Castle Rock Museum, 420 Elbert St., for sale at $7,000
- “Miss Poppin’s Favorite” by artist Justin Deister is at Festival Park, 300 Second St., for sale at $9,000
- “Monumental” by artist Joe Malesky is at Mitchell Gulch Park, 200 Mikelson Blvd., for sale at $8,500
- “TWL #1” by artist Nathan Slape is at Town Hall, 100 N. Wilcox St., for sale at $6,000
To borrow the pieces for the year, the Town has given each artist an $800 stipend, which is funded through the Philip S. Miller Trust Fund. No taxpayer money is used to purchase public art in Castle Rock. If sold while on exhibit in Castle Rock, a portion of the sculpture purchase would go back into the Town’s public art fund.
To learn more about the program and view a photo of each sculpture, visit CRgov.com/artencounters.
Get Town news straight to your inbox. Sign up online at CRgov.com/notifyme, or follow the Town on Facebook (facebook.com/CRgov), Twitter (@CRgov) and LinkedIn (search Town of Castle Rock).